Thursday, March 10, 2005

Single mom for a week

I have almost completed my 5 day stint as a single mom.

My schedule:
6:00 Feed Munch
6:15 - 6:30 Nap
6:30 Dress self
6:45 Pump
7:00 Bathroom break
7:15 Wake Munch, change diaper, dress
7:25 Feed Munch again
7:35 Prepare empty bottles for work, full bottles for day care
7:40 Feed cat
7:45 Off to day care
8:30 - 5:00 Work (pump at 10:00, 1:00, 4:00)
5:45 Pick up the Munch
6:00 Feed Munch
6:30 Shove something in mouth (bowl of cereal, tortilla chips and hummus, or similar)
6:45 - 9:30 Sing, talk, tickle, entertain. Not allowed: Sitting down, putting baby down, looking away from baby's face. Doing so will result in smile turning to angry red face.
9:30 Baby goes down. Shower while baby cries. By the time shower is complete, maybe Munch will be asleep!
10:00 Eat something else. Drink water. Drink glass of wine. Sort mail. Fold laundry. Turn on TV for company. Peruse yesterday's paper. Retrieve empty cat food bowl - too late! Raccoons have already finished off the premium Holistic Cat Food.
11:00 Pump
11:30 Bedtime

So see, it can be done. What's the big deal? Except I cheated. Parents provided dinner and baby holding services on Monday night and Wednesday night. The house is a wreck. I have successfully avoided grocery shopping. I didn't have to deal with recycling. I let the bills pile up. All in all, not a supermom performance. But sometimes getting by is enough.

To all the single moms out there in the world, you have my utmost respect. You are superheroes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home