Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Homecoming

We are home now, and adjusting to life as a family of four. So far so good. Our greatest struggle is getting Griffin to bed before 11. It is a two hour battle every night. The baby (whom we seem to continue to refer to as "the baby", as if he didn't have name) sleeps, eats, poops in equal measures. Just as he should.

This time around I am keenly aware how quickly this time will pass. If I blink, he grows and inch. Sneeze, and he will roll over and crawl away. For now, he spends all of his time held close. I set up the co-sleeper we used with Griffin, but I am happy to have Duncan in bed between us. The fear that kept me semi-awake with Griffin is gone, and when I sleep, I sleep deeply. The insomnia and vivid dreaming that followed me through pregnancy are gone. I was so panicked about the stress and difficulty that would come with caring for a baby and chasing a 3 year old at the same time, that I forgot to anticipate the joy. I forgot how good it feels to hold your new child close. I did not imagine the impossible sweetness of holding two children (mine!) on my lap at the same time. I was not prepared for the affection that the older would shower on the younger.

The books talk about how to avoid jealousy, how to prepare your child to become a sibling, how to make sure he doesn't feel left out. To our surprise and delight, Griffin can't get enough of "my baby." He hugs (perhaps a little to hard) and kisses (perhaps a little to close) his brother as much as we will allow. He wants to feed him pizza and make him talk. He has discovered that if he puts the side of his face up to Duncan's nose while Duncan is awake, the baby will root against his head. "He's wiggling my hair!" Griffin shrieks with delight.

Recovery from the c-section is a bit more difficult for me this time around. I remember not needing the pain meds after I got home with Griffin. This time, I need them. All of them. Standing up, sitting down, are unbearable acts. Worse than a bikini wax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home