Saturday, November 26, 2005

Bites, blue water, books


A salt water foot tickle
Wow! Wow, wow, wow.

Last night we returned from a 6 night vacation in Belize. I true vacation, with reading, sleeping, exploring, and lots of rum punch. On the eve of the trip, my parents, jokingly, perhaps, suggested that we leave the Munch with them. Before I knew what had happened, we were discussing logistics, and racing home from dinner to repack the bags. An hour later, Tom and I were in the airport alone! Already diving into our books. I can't even explain what it was like to be on our own again. Hungrily scarfed down books until our eyes bled. We thirstily poured adult beverages down our gullets, giving responsibility a well-earned rest. We rode in fast boats, peed in dirty pit toilets, and careened down one lane, two direction dirt roads. We also swam in (nurse) shark infested waters.

Of course we missed him. Of course we could hardly wait to see him, even as we raced through our last hours of pleasure reading on the plane. I had crazy Munch dreams every night. It was like my mind didn't know what to do with that part that has been so completely consumed with the care and feeding of the Munch, and it had to go through all of that pent up activity while I slept.

I got eaten by black flies. We swam in the clearest, bluest water I have ever seen. I read The Kite Runner and most of The Time Traveler's Wife, which are wonderful, and another less-wonderful book that is not worth mentioning. It was heaven, and I am so glad to be home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home