Thursday, May 19, 2005

Find something that won’t scar

So, by about 4:00 every day I start getting, let’s face it, a little bored. I really start looking forward to Tom coming home. We’re off to the park, home to nurse, play, dinner…

Tonight Tom has a business meeting so I have extra alone time with the Munch. Somehow, it’s just not as much fun as it was at 8:30 this morning. My ability to improvise playtime is, well, less inspired. Time drags. In an attempt to relieve my own boredom, I take the rubber net ball and throw it at the Munch’s head. Not really thinking – just vaguely wondering if he will be startled or upset. I’m definitely not being a good mom – nothing like that smiling, well-groomed woman on the Pampers box. I mean, if he did start making the cry face, I would pick him up immediately. I’m not that bad – I don’t actually get pleasure in seeing my son cry. I’m just a bit curious about what will set him off. Like today at the park. A two year old was running around making growling monster noises. I was watching, wondering if this was the kind of behavior I had to look forward to. I look back to Munch, and he is making the cry face – lip coming out and eyes welling up with tears. Apparently growling two year olds scare the bejesus out of him.

So anyway. The ball. I toss it lightly at his forehead out of boredom. It bounces right back off and he just thinks this is the funniest thing that has happened to him all day. He laughs harder and harder, drool spinning its trail onto the carpet, as I bounce the ball off of various body parts. We are both in hysterics. We have our most memorable moment of the day.

P.S. It is so exhausting listening to your child cry himself to sleep. Hardest time of the day for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home