Thursday, May 26, 2005

Sob story

I've never been one to break out the tissue for saccharine movies or Hallmark cards. Steel Magnolias bored me. Okay, so there was that one time when I broke down while watching Out of Africa on a plane. And the English Patient destroyed me. But generally, I'm pretty resiliant.

Enter pregnancy.

All of a sudden I tear up at just about anything, especially if it has to do with babies. Commmercials? Yep, those too. Actually, ads in magazines will do it. Articles about mothers/children triumphing over the odds just puree my internal organs and establish an apple-sized lump in my throat.

I thought all this would go away after the baby was born. I thought I would go back to my old cynical self. Well, it hasn't happened yet. I cried when the Colby, the gay hairdresser on Survivor. annouced in the finale that he had adoped his cousin's baby girl. I cried when I met my friend's new baby boy. So, will this go away when I stop breastfeeding, perhaps? Or is it here to stay?

I do discriminate, though. I was touched by the 25 orphans in Finding Neverland, but didn't give a hoot when Kate Winslet died. Movie was seriously "eh."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home