Thursday, June 16, 2005

My answer to my favorite question

At least once a week, someone will look at me with stars in their eyes, and ask "but isn't it the best job you have ever had?" Don't get me wrong, I am glad I decided to quit work to spend time with the Munch. But seriously - these people are missing a screw. In response, I generally smile and offer some vagary along the lines, of "well, he is a pretty special guy." Here is my real answer:

I dunno. When was the last time you had a job that paid nothing and required you to work all of your waking hours, and be on call for all of your sleeping hours? Would you love a job in which you had no conversations all day? How would you feel about a boss who yelled and screamed at you on a daily basis when he didn't get his way? Well, my boss won't clean up his own feces and demands on-demand access to formerly private parts of my body. He expects me to know exactly what to do without specific instruction. Failure in this department is met with temper tantrums, and sometimes physical violence in the form of hair-pulling, pushing, grabbing and twisting of the skin. I am personal assistant, entertainer, personal trainer, cook, housekeeper. Are those jobs that you just DREAM of having someday?

Regarding those who ask this question after having stayed home with their own children, I see two possibilities: 1. They have forgotten what is was like, and their memory has selectively edited the experience down to swing sets and story time, or 2. This is some sort of hazing/initiation into the ranks of motherhood.

I DO love my job. I am so happy to have the option of not working at this time, so that I can embrace this experience. I love my little guy with all my heart and his slobbery kisses and his "happy to see mommy" dances are all the reward I could ever ask for. I don't even mind the diapers. But eternal days of tender moments these are not.
Thursday, Jun 16, 2005 - 05:45pm (PDT) Edit | Delete

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home