Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I'd rather be writing in my blog

Okay, so I split the difference. I really enjoyed writing the paper for my Developmental Psychology class. I enjoyed the paper because I enjoyed the class. Strangely, I felt that analyzing a person in a video interview was much like analyzing a book or, perhaps more precisely, a short story. Each gesture and phrase only hints at the motives beneath the surface. I found a number of themes to explore - loss, growing up too fast, powerlessness - just as I would with a decent work of fiction.

I started the paper for my second class and found myself dragging my feet. It was going to be a pedantic rehashing of the course reading material. I could only anticipate a perfunctory, uninspired result, written too fast with little exploration. Much like the course itself. The topic has been quite interesting, conflict resolution and negotiation, but the class, a series of five two hour sessions, has given short shrift to the material. I'd like to explore this area further, but with more actual class time devoted to each discussion, so that I could really sink my teeth into it.

So I changed my grade option to No Grade. I mean, if I am not going to get anything out of it, why do it? There will be plenty of time to plod through painful-but-necessary course material when I actually need to take courses for credit.

Perhaps all I am doing is justifying my own laziness. Oh well. It is summer, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home